• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hiring spouse - sole proprietorship in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notelist

What is the name of your state? Texas
I am a sole proprietorship with a homebased business in Texas with no employees and wanting to hire my spouse for about 25 hrs. a week of routine office work where she will be paid on an hourly basis.

Want to enroll her in a company medical reimbursement family plan and SEP, and have all the paperwork for that, the IRS forms, and an employee contract. This is fully ok with the IRS as long as she is a bona fida employee. I realize that I have to take out federal and state tax and FICA.

My questions involves the state of Texas...do I have to take unemployment taxes out of each check I give her? (which for federal it is not necessary).
What all tax is needed to take out for Texas? What about social security?
If it is too much of a hassle and the taxes are too much I won't even bother. Wanting to get coverage for her deductibles through a medical plan, as for self employed is high.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">