• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Improvement Crook

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newt787

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

On 07 February 2004 I signed contract with a Home Improvement Company that held a Maryland Home Improvement license (MHIC) to construct an All Season Room (12X18) on my residence. Total cost $26K, in which I paid 1/3 down $7,821.00. Short story, they CASH THE CHECK for $7.8K and NEVER SHOWED UP!! I filed a claim against the Maryland home improvement commission guaranty fund in which their finding was in my favor (July 2005). However, it seems the home improvement commission guaranty fund is limited to $100K total for all parties, and they have a lot of claims against this contractor. The MHIC letter addressed to me stated I would only receive a percent of the claim and not the full refund. I want to file a small claims against the company. Can I write off any of this loss (Fed or State)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">