• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home mortgage interest deduction for foreign property on US tax return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kradeso

Hi,

I am on an H1B visa and have been working in the US for 4+ years. I purchased a condo (only property I own) in India 3 yrs ago (2006) and got a mortgage (through a bank in India). I make a monthly mortgage payment out of my salary here (I have no other income) to this bank in India.

On advice of my tax filers, I claimed the interest deduction on my US tax return (I don't file taxes in India as I don't have any income there). I did this for the first time for the 2008 tax year and the refund came through without any hassle. Now I am wondering whether to amend my previous two years (2006 and 2007) tax returns to claim the interest deduction since I didn't claim it for those tax years.

I am being now told by a different CPA that there is a possibility that I could be asked to withhold 30% of the interest payment since this bank that I make my mortgage payment to doesn't file taxes in the US and doesn't provide a 1098 either.

So my question is, is there a risk of the IRS asking me to withhold 30% which would then make this deduction not worth seeking? I have read various threads on many forums on the topic but I am not clear what happens in the case of the property as well as the mortgage provider being foreign based but being paid out of income in the US.

Thanks,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">