• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Office Deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CroweW

What is the name of your state? NY

I live in an apartment and work from there. I have no other office. I do use the furnishings/equipment for personal business. I sit at the desk to write checks. I use the computer for personal business. Am I entitled to claim a deduction for any portion of my rent, utilities, etc.?

Snipes5

If you plan to claim office use of your home, you must set aside an area of your home that is used ONLY for business, and for no other purpose.

It doesn't have to be a separate room, but it must be a space you have allocated for business purposes only. If you use that area for ANYTHING else, the IRS is likely to disallow the deduction in an audit.

As far as your computer, you would need to know the percentage of how much you use it for business, and how much for other purposes.

Also note, if the computer is kept in the 'business space" in your home, and you use the computer for any purpose other than business, that means you're using that space for other than business as well.

I wouldn't try to do this without seeing a tax professional.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">