• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homebuyer's Credit Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hoons

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

When my wife divorced her previous husband, she maintained residence in the home while he moved out. The mortgage liability stayed in both their names until last year when she and I both bought the home as joint buyers.

Everything else meets the criteria to be eligible for the homebuyer's credit, but does her owning and living in that same house make her ineligible? She did live there over 5 years prior to the sale, and I lived in my prior home for 5 years of the last 8. We closed August 20th, 2010. The only thing missing is getting ahold of the purchase agreement from before April 30th (but that's a different issue).

Assuming I can do that, would this be considered a refinance for her since she already owned the home or is it a flat out purchase for her since she bought it with me?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">