• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homestead Exemption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mariner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Hope I have placed this is the correct thread.

My sister bought my mothers home. My mother has no interest in the home except for living in the home. Mom pays all the bills. Mom is 86 years old. Home is owned solely by my sister. My sister stated that my mother must apply for a Homestead Exemption to lower the taxes. From what I am reading, the person who applies for the exemption must have an interest/own the property. Who is responsible for the taxes?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Hope I have placed this is the correct thread.

My sister bought my mothers home. My mother has no interest in the home except for living in the home. Mom pays all the bills. Mom is 86 years old. Home is owned solely by my sister. My sister stated that my mother must apply for a Homestead Exemption to lower the taxes. From what I am reading, the person who applies for the exemption must have an interest/own the property. Who is responsible for the taxes?
If your sister owns the home, your mother cannot apply for a homestead exemption. Your sister is also responsible for the property taxes because she is the home owner.

Now, if she has given your mother a life estate in the home (officially), that could change things.

mariner

my mother signed the property over to my sister in 2008. My mom paid the taxes last year and now my sister wants my mother to apply for the Homestead Exemption, but from what I have read online you must be a homeowner or have some type of interest in the estate. My mother has none of those. My sister was supposed to pay my mother for the property over the next 6 years, but decided to pay off the house in December. Now sister has found out how much the taxes are, and is trying her best to find a way around this. It wouldn't be the first time she has done such a thing.

Thank you for your answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">