• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hone business deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

I work a full time job and do some freelance graphic design work from my apartment. I have recieved approx $8,000 for my freelance work. Are all my expenses associated with this deductable? I had to buy some equipment (@$4,500) and should probably buy some more as well.

Thanks

abezon

Yes, you can write off the business portion of any expense. Typical expenses include: equipment, postage, business miles, advertising, long distance telephone, business cell phone usage, etc. You may also have a qualified home office -- an area used exclusively & regularly for the consulting business. Exclusively means you don't use the area for ANY personal stuff. You can divide a room in half if necessary.

I recommend you hire someone to do your taxes & help you decide if it's better to write stuff off this year or depreciate & save some expenses for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">