• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Tax Credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cwucowboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

Under the Nov 2009 extension certain members are exempt from the June 2010 deadline and are eligible to wait until 2011 to purchase a home. They are (1) uniformed military (2) members of intelligence community (3) ambassador; foreign service officers; and A PART OF THE FOREIGN SERVICE that served for at least 90 days between December 2008 and May 2010.

I worked for the Department of Homeland Security from January 2005 until January 2010. I was attached to the embassy overseas but I was not and am not a State Department employee. Am I eligible for the extension under the final part of A PART OF THE FOREIGN SERVICE?

I have asked my tax preparer and real estate agent (which didn't know) and the IRS question line which thought I should be able to but doesn't know and refered me to someone else more in the know but has not gotten back to me.

I'm running out of time but don't want to rush into purchasing a house just to get the credit. An answer would help out anybody that had been overseas for the US government during this time period.

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">