• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I attach an IRS Form to the 1040 I already filed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thailend19

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I filed a 1040 and all the information is correct and complete. The form shows I owe no federal income tax, so the form I am required to add is Form 8938, which simply asks if I have money in a savings(checking) account in a foreign bank(I do) and the amount if over $10,000(I do and state the amount on the form). I forgot to add that form when I filed my 1040 a week ago. I simply need to know how and where to file the Form 8938.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I filed a 1040 and all the information is correct and complete. The form shows I owe no federal income tax, so the form I am required to add is Form 8938, which simply asks if I have money in a savings(checking) account in a foreign bank(I do) and the amount if over $10,000(I do and state the amount on the form). I forgot to add that form when I filed my 1040 a week ago. I simply need to know how and where to file the Form 8938.
You are going to have to amend your return to include form 8938. Did you include the interest income from that account on your original return? If not, your amended return should include that. You might want to get some help from a tax professional. Amended returns can be complicated without professional software.

tranquility

The funny thing is, how casual the OP is. I agree there should be an amendment. That it was not included makes me think the OP does not understand how serious the government is about the requirement.

thailend19

There was no interest in that account.

I will just file an amended 1040 and attach the 8938, correct?

You are going to have to amend your return to include form 8938. Did you include the interest income from that account on your original return? If not, your amended return should include that. You might want to get some help from a tax professional. Amended returns can be complicated without professional software.

davew128

Worse, OP is STILL getting it wrong. Form 8938 doesn't ask solely about your bank account, and the filing threshold is a lot higher than $10,000. FinCEN 114 asks those questions and it DOESN'T attach to the tax return...

johnbuchmiller

If you file an amended return for more than one year, use a separate 1040X for each tax year. Mail them in separate envelopes to the Chicago IRS Lawyer. See "Where to File" in the instructions for Form 1040X for the correct address to use.Form 1040X has three columns. Column A shows amounts from the original return. Column B shows the net increase or decrease for the amounts you are changing. Column C shows the corrected amounts. You should explain what you are changing and the reasons why on the back of the form.

davew128

If you file an amended return for more than one year, use a separate 1040X for each tax year. Mail them in separate envelopes to the Chicago IRS Lawyer. See "Where to File" in the instructions for Form 1040X for the correct address to use.Form 1040X has three columns. Column A shows amounts from the original return. Column B shows the net increase or decrease for the amounts you are changing. Column C shows the corrected amounts. You should explain what you are changing and the reasons why on the back of the form.
Thanks for sharing this pointless information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">