• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to claim a 1099-C

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nisouc

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I received a 1099-C from Chase Auto. The loan was in both my mother & my names & so is the 1099-C. Our car was repossessed in 2000. The date of the debt cancellation is listed as 12/31/04. The amount is $15,000. My mother's only income is her social security. She has a reverse mortgage on her home. My 2 children & I live with her. My only asset is an old car for which I paid $700. She has $10,000 in credit card debt. I have a $9,000 student loan. My question is, are we considered insolvent? If not, can I claim the amount alone? It was my car so I don't want my mother to have to claim anything.
Thanks,
Nisou
:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">