• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to claim tax deductions on alimony without wife's TIN number or SSN#?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

streetboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Got divorced, wife was outside US who never came to US. I had pay alimony to her.

Now I want to get tax deductions from paid alimony, but IRS website says to enter ITN or SSN number of wife which I don't have and cannot apply too since we are divorced and not in talking terms.

Can you please advice what it the best way to get tax deduction?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Got divorced, wife was outside US who never came to US. I had pay alimony to her.

Now I want to get tax deductions from paid alimony, but IRS website says to enter ITN or SSN number of wife which I don't have and cannot apply too since we are divorced and not in talking terms.

Can you please advice what it the best way to get tax deduction?
You are not going to be able to file electronically unless you and she filed joint returns in the past and you can retrieve her SSN or TIN (assuming she ever had one) from a previous return.

If you cannot obtain that then you will have to file a paper return with a statement explaining that she lives outside the country and does not have an SSN or TIN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">