• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to correct filing status New York State Tax Year 2013?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SA.Barnum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

In 2013 I was married to a fraud who only wanted citizenship (arranged marriage).

But I didn't know that.

So when I filed 2013 New York State Tax, I filed "Married Filing Jointly"

Then, after I discovered the fraud, I reported it and New York Supreme Court granted an annulment due to FRAUD (i.e. as if the marriage NEVER happened, which is different from divorce).

Question: How do I correct 2013 New York State Tax to make filing status "Single"

davew128

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

In 2013 I was married to a fraud who only wanted citizenship (arranged marriage).

But I didn't know that.

So when I filed 2013 New York State Tax, I filed "Married Filing Jointly"

Then, after I discovered the fraud, I reported it and New York Supreme Court granted an annulment due to FRAUD (i.e. as if the marriage NEVER happened, which is different from divorce).

Question: How do I correct 2013 New York State Tax to make filing status "Single"
You file an amended return and cite Revenue Ruling 76-255. Otherwise what you're proposing would not be allowable as you cannot change from a joint status after the due date of the return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">