• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I claim this unique income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jayco

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

How do I claim this income, and what can I deduct? A local TV station approached me about placing a TV camera at my home to give them a skyline beauty shot for their newscasts. They pay me a fee each month to provide a location for the camera inside my home that looks out of a window. Out of that fee I provide the electricity to power the camera and its related gear and I pay for a data connection that sends the signal back to the TV station. All costs to run the camera come out of the monthly fee I receive. So do I claim this as MISC income, is it a rental income for the space and utilities I provide? Do I need to separate this income from my regular income and set it up as a separate company? Thank you.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

How do I claim this income, and what can I deduct? A local TV station approached me about placing a TV camera at my home to give them a skyline beauty shot for their newscasts. They pay me a fee each month to provide a location for the camera inside my home that looks out of a window. Out of that fee I provide the electricity to power the camera and its related gear and I pay for a data connection that sends the signal back to the TV station. All costs to run the camera come out of the monthly fee I receive. So do I claim this as MISC income, is it a rental income for the space and utilities I provide? Do I need to separate this income from my regular income and set it up as a separate company? Thank you.
How much money are we talking about?

LdiJ

about $3600 a year
I am leaning towards treating it as rental income on Schedule E, with the expenses directly associated with it also being deducted on Schedule E. I would be hesitant to attempt to allocate any expenses other than direct expenses as it does not appear to be actually taking up any space in your home.

Jayco

True, it takes up very little physical space, maybe 2 square feet for the camera and another square foot for the electronics that provide the data connection. The largest expense is the data, followed by the electricity.

LdiJ

2 square feet of roof ;)
That kind of thing is what I was talking about when I said that I would be hesitant to allocate any other expenses to the schedule E. If he has a 2000 sq ft home 2 square feet would be 1/10 of 1% of the area. If the house was valued at 200k that would be 2k depreciated over 27.5 years.;)

LdiJ

Zig nailed it. That was what I was getting at and it was tongue in cheek.
Arg...sorry for not picking up on the "tongue in cheek". However, that might have really sent the OP in a tailspin trying to figure out depreciation...LOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">