• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I straighten this mess out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candi4687

Tennessee,
Ok here is the deal. In 2002 My ex and I were divorced. Due to medical problems and staying home taking care of our children I had not been able to hold down a job. The courts decided that my ex was to claim the children since I had not had a job (even though he worked for cash..Not even a 1099). This was IF he were up to date on child support which he never was.
My mother wound up claiming our children to help pay her back on her helping us out financially.
My mother has claimed our now 6 and 4 yr old children every year but one and thats when I claimed them. In 2004 my ex paid a total of $1,640 in child support. My mother spend $1,800 ALONE in just buying us a vehicle and paying off an over due bill that my ex was half responsible for but failed to pay even though it was added to my light bill to pay or us lose our power. This does NOT include regular bills or other things she felt obligated to help me get for our family.
I allowed my mother to claim our 2 children this year because I feel so bad that she will scrap if need be to make sure we have all we need. I was never told that y ex had gotten a ligitimate job and was recieving a 1099 for 2004. I informed him that my mom had claimed the children and thats when he said he was claiming them also. He has a new wife and a new baby that he could claim but he chose not to. He had her father or mother one claim his wife and child so they would get money back on them and he planned on claiming our children so that some of his child support arrears could be paid up (He now owes over $5,000).
*Does anyone know how I can find out what I can do about this mess? I don't want my mother to get into trouble and I do not wish to put yet another financial burden upon her either. My ex says that she can't claim the children because she does not have custody but the way I see it is that whom ever paid the most money into the household should be allowed to claim the children. Can anyone explain what possibly I could do to ensure that when the time comes this don't bite us in the azz?
** The court orders are that when we both work I claim one child and he claims the other. The thing of that at that time and now is that due to back problems caused by my ex's violent tendancies and have over coming cancer I have not had a job since 2003 nor am I currently employed yet. So therefore they knew I was getting the raw end of the deal.
Any comments are appreciated.

By the way just to add this fact: after 2002 it states that this matter should be brought to the courts attention to decide what should happen in the years following. So it says nothing about who has the right.. just states we should take this matter to court which neither of us can afford.

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

You knew he was employed when you were trying to keep him from visitation etc in previous threads. Your story constantly changes. Remember you moved away without appropriate notice to be with your boyfriend, Why is your mother having to pay your bills, you said you were fine.

Why are you avoiding taking him to court if the order says it is to be reviewed? Let him claim his children as the court ordered until you take him there to get it changed and quit making your children pawns.

candi4687

yeah I scam people. :rolleyes: This was BEFORE I moved here when my mother was helping me. and SHE deserves to claim our children since she was the one paying most to help us to pay our bills. I guess it is myfault that I got cancer and pissed my ex off one time that he decided to put his boot in the back of my head and back causing me back problems. :rolleyes: As far as the me moving away part he ALSO has moved to AL so he is OBVIOUSLY NOT CONCERNED with the distance. I take them there every other weekend for his parenting time with them and HE does not show. Hell I guess thats because of me also. ;) Get over yourself you DON'T know EVERYTHING.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">