• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to reclaim past taxed paid accidentally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bershirker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

This may be a simple question but I have not been able to find an answer for it. I am currently active duty serving out-of-state and have been for the past four years. I have only recently discovered that I owe no state taxes to Pennsylvania while serving out-of-state. However, I paid my state taxes for the past four years without knowing this. Is there a way or a form to reclaim past taxes that I already filed accidentally? It'd be nice to get all that money back since technically it wasn't owed in the first place.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Bershirker

Is it three tax years? By this I mean is it too late to reclaim my taxes from 2008 because it is past three years exactly from the return or can I amend the last three returns?

FlyingRon

Is it three tax years? By this I mean is it too late to reclaim my taxes from 2008 because it is past three years exactly from the return or can I amend the last three returns?
It's three years from when it was due. 2010 taxes are just becoming due now, so you could go back to 2007 (if you hurry). 2008 should be easy.

Sorry DAVEW but there is no such thing as a Pennsylvania "amended tax form."
You file your amended tax on the PA-40 which is the regular tax form. There's a bubble to color in to indicate that this is an amended filing.
Make sure you use the one for the year that you are amending. The back versions of the forms can be downloaded from the PA tax site,
just type PA-40 into the search box and you'll find all the versions of that form:
http://www.revenue.state.pa.us

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">