• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to report income tax fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fairplay

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
California

I have specific knowledge of an individual who is claiming residency in Nevada when he really lives and works in Los Angeles. He jokingly admits that he has done this to avoid paying California state income tax on more than $10 million in personal income over the past 7 years. How do I report this individual so that the authorities may investigate the matter and bring this individual to justice? I think California could use the lost tax revenue. Also, what punishment may this individual face?

Snipes5

If the amount is that high, he faces prison time, not to mention penalties and interest on the unreported income and unpaid tax.

You can report fraud by going to the IRS website, www.irs.gov. Do a search on "fraud".

Snipes

Snipes5

Good point, but since states and the IRS share information, the IRS will probably take a healthy interest in his tax returns once the FTB does so.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">