• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How should this be filed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVE31

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I am recently separated from spouse, in beginning of divorce. We lived formerly in martial home (purchased by spouse before our marriage / no mortgage). I moved out and purchased a new home for myself & our child (we are still legally married/ loan in my name only but spouse did have to sign the mortgage by state law). My question is this: Is it better to still file married/together and will I be able to claim my new home? Or better to file married filing head of household to claim my child and new home? I know last year I filed married/filing single since spouse didnt have his taxes together but could not claim head of houshold since I didnt have his tax info in hand. But could I claim head of household since I'm now in my OWN house and spouse can claim THEIR house on their taxes?
I'm not sure I know how this works and want a better understanding of what the options/ repurcussions are. Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">