• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to submit taxes - live and work in different states?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nichka

What is the name of your state? Illinois and New York
Hi!
1. I live in Illinois but work in NYC. How and where I need to submit income tax?
2. My friend is illegal resident and he is about to marry. He didn't pay taxes for 3 years because he didn't know about how to do it? Should he starts paying taxes when he knows about it or he will pay fixed fine after marriage anyway? If he will pay a fixed fine there is no pointto pay taxes now :rolleyes: If not - how helpful will be the submission of income tax now?

Thank you very much!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Illinois and New York
Hi!
1. I live in Illinois but work in NYC. How and where I need to submit income tax?
Explain how you live in IL but work in NYC. The details of your living arrangements could make a difference.

2. My friend is illegal resident and he is about to marry. He didn't pay taxes for 3 years because he didn't know about how to do it? Should he starts paying taxes when he knows about it or he will pay fixed fine after marriage anyway? If he will pay a fixed fine there is no pointto pay taxes now :rolleyes: If not - how helpful will be the submission of income tax now?

Thank you very much!
I assume that your friend is going to be working with an immigration attorney? He should question the immigration attorney regarding whether or not he should file taxes returns, which demonstrate that he has been working in the US.

nichka

HI
thank you for quick responce.
I basicaly stay most of the time in NJ with my boyfriend and my billing, bank, credit cards are in NJ, I work for a company that is located in NJ but work in NYC. and I rent apt in chicago, my driver license is from IL and my car is registered there as well as car insurance (very cheap in IL compared to NJ).
that's the situation...
what is the right way to do that?
thank you

Last edited:

scoir99

thats a mess too many variables for a forum , go see a tax proffessional to get your taxes prepared as you definately have 2 residences and you will need records of time spent in each, plus work information etc etc

LdiJ

HI
thank you for quick responce.
I basicaly stay most of the time in NJ with my boyfriend and my billing, bank, credit cards are in NJ, I work for a company that is located in NJ but work in NYC. and I rent apt in chicago, my driver license is from IL and my car is registered there as well as car insurance (very cheap in IL compared to NJ).
that's the situation...
what is the right way to do that?
thank you
I agree that you need a tax pro. I suspect that you are a resident of NJ, but its problematic that you rent an apartment and have your car etc. registered in IL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">