• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband died in Idaho

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cuspid

What is the name of your state? Idaho.
My husband and I have lived in and paid for our home in Idaho. We are both listed on the deed as husband and wife. Our home and land it sits on is valued at 4.5 million dollars. We have been married for 42 years when he died and have lived in this home for over 30 years. I have been told by a attorney that I will have to pay inheritance tax on this home that I have lived in and worked to pay for these past 30 years.
My question is: Is this true? Do I owe and inheritance tax on a home that my husband and I bought and paid for together?
Thank you.

anteater

While the value of your husband's estate would normally make it subject to federal estate tax, there is an unlimited estate tax deduction for assets that pass to a spouse.

Idaho does not have an inheritance tax. It does have an estate tax. It is what is called a "pick-up" tax. If one has to pay federal estate tax, there is a deduction for any estate tax paid to a state. So, Idaho says, "Hey, if you are paying tax to the Feds anyway, just send us the maximum amount the Feds allow as a state estate tax deduction instead of sending it to Washington DC."

I don't know the ins-and-outs of the Idaho estate tax, but would find it very strange that you would owe anything to Idaho if all your husband's assets qualify for the unlimited marital deduction for federal estate tax purposes. Ask the attorney to elaborate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">