• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband doesn't file taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pookie72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
I just found out that my husband hasn't filed taxes for years, and we have been married for 9 years. He also didn't file today (April 15) but claims he filed an extension, which I do not believe. He gets very irate and angry if I ask about his business. He has his own chiropractic office, and is not doing very well. We are struggling financially. I do not have access to any of his records, so I do not know what is going on. I have not worked in 3 years, as I am a stay at home mom with a baby. We are on the brink of divorce because of all this and all his other poor decisions. I feel like I am about to have a nervous breakdown, as I spoke with my mother about this today (she used to work for H and R block) and she says I am liable and that when the IRS catches up with him it can all fall back on me since I am his spouse. I am completely sick over this. I do not know what to do. Should I talk with an attorney? Please, any advice is greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
I just found out that my husband hasn't filed taxes for years, and we have been married for 9 years. He also didn't file today (April 15) but claims he filed an extension, which I do not believe. He gets very irate and angry if I ask about his business. He has his own chiropractic office, and is not doing very well. We are struggling financially. I do not have access to any of his records, so I do not know what is going on. I have not worked in 3 years, as I am a stay at home mom with a baby. We are on the brink of divorce because of all this and all his other poor decisions. I feel like I am about to have a nervous breakdown, as I spoke with my mother about this today (she used to work for H and R block) and she says I am liable and that when the IRS catches up with him it can all fall back on me since I am his spouse. I am completely sick over this. I do not know what to do. Should I talk with an attorney? Please, any advice is greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I don't know why your mother would want to scare you that way, but you are NOT liable for the fact that your husband has chosen not to file tax returns.

As long as you make sure that you do NOT file a joint tax return with him for any of those years, you have no liability.

Kiawah

So are you saying that you haven't signed/filled any sort of tax return in 9 years (joint, married filing separately, federal or state, etc), and up until 3 years ago you had been working?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">