• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I accidentally filed in my maiden name!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pctech777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I always use the same online tax e-file site. When I logged in to input my information the site had my basic info already filled in. I forgot to change my last name to my now married name. My social security card reflects my married name. I also forgot to change the filing status, and filed as single. I am now married. What should I do now? Will I be audited? Will I be in trouble for this? I filed on Jan.18th and the IRS Where's My Refund says it cannot give any information on my refund status. Of course, there is problems with my return. Please help me!!! I am extremely worried!!

Last edited:

ShyCat

Your e-file should be rejected by the IRS due to a mismatch between the name on your return and the name associated with your SSN. When you are subsequently notified (presumably via email), you'll then have to follow whatever online procedures are necessary to correct your return and re-submit.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I always use the same online tax e-file site. When I logged in to input my information the site had my basic info already filled in. I forgot to change my last name to my now married name. My social security card reflects my married name. I also forgot to change the filing status, and filed as single. I am now married. What should I do now? Will I be audited? Will I be in trouble for this? I filed on Jan.18th and the IRS Where's My Refund says it cannot give any information on my refund status. Of course, there is problems with my return. Please help me!!! I am extremely worried!!
I agree. You should be notified or should have already been notified that your return rejected for the mismatched name and social security number.

However, it is most likely in the best interest of both of you and your husband to file a joint tax return.

pctech777

I received notification that my return was accepted by the IRS and was given a declaration number. Can they reject it after accepting it?

LdiJ

I received notification that my return was accepted by the IRS and was given a declaration number. Can they reject it after accepting it?
That makes no sense. If you have a social security card listing your married name your return should have been rejected for a name and social security mismatch.

No, they cannot reject it after accepting it.

You need to file an amended return. Most likely it would be in your best interest to file an amended return including your spouse and your spouse's income.

You had also best sit on any refund you recieve until you know what the outcome of your amended return is, and know whether or not you owe the IRS any money back. Get the amended return done well before April 15th.

Amended returns are quite complex. You should best see a tax professional to get the amended return done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">