• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I can deduct as "investment interest expenses", interest on a loan my parents got me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I can deduct as "investment interest expenses", interest on a loan my parents got me?

What is the name of your state? NV

My parents helped me buy a raw land, by taking out a home equity loan on their house and purchasing the land under their name, because I was unable to get a loan on it myself. I paid a minimum of $400 per month to my parent, which covered the interest and taxes and made extra payments towards the principle whenever I could. I paid it off in a little over a year and then they transferred the property to me. Can I deduct the part of the payments I made to my parents that went to paying the interest my parents paid on their loan as “investment interest expenses”?

Right now the property just has a bunch of my stuff on it, but my plan is to sell all my things, then possibly improve the land and put a mobile home on it and sell it or maybe just sell it.

Thank you very much in advance.

FlyingRon

No, you can't because you're not obligated to pay.
No, you can't because it doesn't sound like it qualifies for a deduction even if you did have a loan in your name on the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">