• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I cant pay my deceased Mothers taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

betsline

California
My mother passed away last year and owed taxes. I paid those back taxes after I sold her home. For she owes 23 tousand. I dont have the money. What do I do? :(

LdiJ

Snipes5 said:
Your post is confusing.

Please clarify.

Snipes
I agree. What taxes did she owe originally (state, federal, property taxes etc.)? What taxes have you paid? What taxes are still due?

betsline

I can not pay my mothers taxes

I am the trustee of the estate, but there was no money. I had to sell her home to pay the previous 5 years. I just dont have any money left from her estate. But I did the tax return and she owes 23 grand. How do I write the IRS and tell them I have none of her money left?

Snipes5

Last five years of WHAT taxes exactly? State? Federal? Property? Excise? Sales?

Did you do the taxes yourself or did you have them done by professionals?

If you did them yourself, have them examined by professionals. Advice is free at any H&R Block office, but you'll have to wait until after April 15.

Your comments seem to indicate (if these are in fact income taxes you are referring to) that your mother made oodles of money every year, and neither filed nor paid her taxes.

Is that correct? Throw some more numbers at us, such as Her Adjusted Gross Income. That will give us a better idea of how to proceed.

Are we to assume that her Estate was in excess of 1.2m?

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">