• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I just filed my return and got a 1099-R in the mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

koo145

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi, I just filed my return and got a 1099-R in the mail. However, I got the 1099-R from a 401k to IRA rollover with a "G" Distribution Code (Trustee to trustee) so the Total Distribution field is blank and there is a taxable amount of $0.00. Do I still have to amend my return if it gets accepted?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi, I just filed my return and got a 1099-R in the mail. However, I got the 1099-R from a 401k to IRA rollover with a "G" Distribution Code (Trustee to trustee) so the Total Distribution field is blank and there is a taxable amount of $0.00. Do I still have to amend my return if it gets accepted?
Since it will not impact your tax, no, you do not really need to do that. However, you want to keep that 1099-R in a very safe place for the next three years. You could possibly get questioned about it (although you should not, since its clearly a rollover) and it will be much easier if that happens, if you can produce the 1099-R.

FlyingRon

Even if you got that form before filing, you'd not have done anything different. 1099's do not need to go with your tax forms and since there's no taxable event here, there's nothing to write on any form you would file anyhow.

LdiJ

Even if you got that form before filing, you'd not have done anything different. 1099's do not need to go with your tax forms and since there's no taxable event here, there's nothing to write on any form you would file anyhow.
That isn't really correct. The amount would be included on either line 15a or line 16a (of the 1040) depending on the type of account, but its true that the amount would not carry to line 15b or 16b and therefore would not effect the OP's tax. So had the 1099 arrived before the OP did their return, the OP should have included it, on line 15a or 16a.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">