• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i married and never shared married life, but my husband filed me on his taxes this ye

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimberlywarren6

What is the name of your state (new york)?

i married 2 years ago, my husband lied to me about some very serious things of who he was/is. we never lived together. never shared married life together. we have never been together. but this year he owed taxes, so he filed me under his taxes to get out of paying them and is getting money back. he says im not entitled to any of it and he can legally claim me even if we were never together for the 2 years

Antigone*

i married 2 years ago, my husband lied to me about some very serious things of who he was/is. we never lived together. never shared married life together. we have never been together. but this year he owed taxes, so he filed me under his taxes to get out of paying them and is getting money back. he says im not entitled to any of it and he can legally claim me even if we were never together for the 2 years
Did you sign the joint return?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Do you work? Do you have income in your own right? How have you been filing your taxes for the last few years? married, filing seperately? Single?

LdiJ

He could not do that...not unless you signed the tax return or provided him a pin number to use if he was filing electronically. That actually makes you responsible for any taxes he might owe. The IRS can come after you for payment.

If you had any income that would allow you to file your own return, you should file a paper return ASAP. If not, then you want to make a written statement to the IRS that you did not agree to file a joint return with your estranged husband and that you did not sign the form nor provide a pin number for an electronic filing. Contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for information regarding where to mail the statement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Come on, you know better than that.
I was going to point that out too - but she went on to explain how the OP should "...make a written statement to the IRS that you did not agree to file a joint return with your estranged husband and that you did not sign the form nor provide a pin number for an electronic filing."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">