• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I owe federal taxes for a job I didn't have

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostintaxhell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

In 2006, 2007, and part of 2008, it was reported to the IRS that I worked for a supposedly-Christian trucking company (they're known for plastering the sides of their trucks with bible verses) in San Diego, California. I didn't work for a trucking company, nor have I ever lived in San Diego, and the nearest I ever have is 200 miles away. In fact, I've been disabled since 2000 and receiving SSDI. Now the IRS is telling me and my new husband we are on the hook for nearly $10k in taxes for that income, and it's on us to prove, beyond doubt, that I didn't work the job.

I've contacted the company, and they won't release any info as long as there's a dispute over who worked the job. They told me that they can't give info on anyone to anyone except the individual, unless there's a court order. Since I'm disputing employeeship, they won't give me the info on who did work the job. The IRS won't help aside from saying hire an attorney.

I don't have the money for an attorney. I don't have the money for a lot of things. I don't have the money even for my own internet connection. I share with someone else. My husband doesn't make any major money. Between the two of us, his job, and my SSDI, it takes odd jobs to get the basic bills paid. Now the IRS is taking our tax refund and wants more.

I don't know what to do nor how to prove I didn't work a job in a place I never lived, especially when the company won't help me at all. Also I don't even have a driver's license and haven't in years (I'm epileptic).

When the SSA got wind of this, it was as easy as printing out info on the company, their location and what the company does, and bringing a copy of my apartment lease for the time they claimed I worked there showing I lived several hundred miles away (I've since moved to about 200 miles away), and they removed it from my SSA work record and restored my SSDI, but I don't think the IRS will accept the SSA clearing me as proof of anything.

We are being financially sunk over a job I didn't work, and need any help or advice. I wish we could afford an attorney. I wish we could afford a car, which is what we were going to get with our refund, a little used one, so my husband wouldn't have to walk 4 miles to work in an area without buses, but I may as well wish for the moon.

In 2006, 2007, and part of 2008, it was reported to the IRS that I worked for a supposedly-Christian trucking company (they're known for plastering the sides of their trucks with bible verses) in San Diego, California. I didn't work for a trucking company, nor have I ever lived in San Diego, and the nearest I ever have is 200 miles away. In fact, I've been disabled since 2000 and receiving SSDI. Now the IRS is telling me and my new husband we are on the hook for nearly $10k in taxes for that income, and it's on us to prove, beyond doubt, that I didn't work the job.

I've contacted the company, and they won't release any info as long as there's a dispute over who worked the job. They told me that they can't give info on anyone to anyone except the individual, unless there's a court order. Since I'm disputing employeeship, they won't give me the info on who did work the job. The IRS won't help aside from saying hire an attorney.

I don't have the money for an attorney. I don't have the money for a lot of things. I don't have the money even for my own internet connection. I share with someone else. My husband doesn't make any major money. Between the two of us, his job, and my SSDI, it takes odd jobs to get the basic bills paid. Now the IRS is taking our tax refund and wants more.

I don't know what to do nor how to prove I didn't work a job in a place I never lived, especially when the company won't help me at all. Also I don't even have a driver's license and haven't in years (I'm epileptic).

When the SSA got wind of this, it was as easy as printing out info on the company, their location and what the company does, and bringing a copy of my apartment lease for the time they claimed I worked there showing I lived several hundred miles away (I've since moved to about 200 miles away), and they removed it from my SSA work record and restored my SSDI, but I don't think the IRS will accept the SSA clearing me as proof of anything.

We are being financially sunk over a job I didn't work, and need any help or advice. I wish we could afford an attorney. I wish we could afford a car, which is what we were going to get with our refund, a little used one, so my husband wouldn't have to walk 4 miles to work in an area without buses, but I may as well wish for the moon.

I would start with calling my congressman's local office and speaking with someone there.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I've helped folks with this problem. You need to do the following because it appears you are a victim of identity theft (your social security number.)

1. file a police report for where you live.
2. wait for report. once you have it, go to the Social Security department to have them remove it from your profile.
3. after that, contact the IRS with the corrected report of your earnings, or lack there of.

LdiJ

You need to get as much documentation as you can that proves that you did not live in San Diego during the time period that your social security number was used.

You also need to go to the police and report identity theft and get a case number and police report.

You honestly should be able to get this straightened out with the IRS.

davew128

I would start with calling my congressman's local office and speaking with someone there.
As opposed to doing something productive. :rolleyes:

OP, you are the victim of identity theft. This bothers me personally because I can see the offices of this company from my apartment. Given the location, I suspect the individual who did this is likely not a United States citizen. Call me cynical....but when I have "undocumented workers" living in bushes at the bottom of my hill... :mad:

Others have told you what you need to do. I suggest following that advice.

As opposed to doing something productive. :rolleyes:

OP, you are the victim of identity theft. This bothers me personally because I can see the offices of this company from my apartment. Given the location, I suspect the individual who did this is likely not a United States citizen. Call me cynical....but when I have "undocumented workers" living in bushes at the bottom of my hill... :mad:

Others have told you what you need to do. I suggest following that advice.
What an inane statement. There is no proof that there is any identity theft. Company could have just put the wrong SSN on the 1099 for all you know.
The primary role of any congressional office is to aid constituents in dealings with federal agencies and the staff of the OP's congressman probably has someone well versed in dealing with the IRS. Even if they cannot solve the problem directly, they should certainly be able to offer insight and guidance that may be helpful. To say it is unproductive is absurd.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Honey, your social security number was compromised. Don't care how. You HAVE to file that police report as part of the process.

if you want to spin your wheels and contact government agencies that will eventually tell you the same thing that we just told you, feel free. But don't come back and whine that it took twice as long as just doing as has been advised.

Honey, your social security number was compromised. Don't care how. You HAVE to file that police report as part of the process.

if you want to spin your wheels and contact government agencies that will eventually tell you the same thing that we just told you, feel free. But don't come back and whine that it took twice as long as just doing as has been advised.

Unbelievable. Your advice was very good, TinkerBelleLuvr. Except for one thing. You are claiming that a half hour phone call to her congressman's local office would somehow be a HUGE waste of time resulting in the whole process taking twice as long. Do you honestly believe that having the OP deal directly with the IRS rather than having the paperwork come thru her congressman's office would be helpful to her? You do understand that most congressional offices have people on staff who specialize in certain federal agencies and just might know precisely who to deal with at the IRS? Not saying that her's does or not, but isn't it worth a simple phone call to find out?

davew128

What an inane statement. There is no proof that there is any identity theft. Company could have just put the wrong SSN on the 1099 for all you know.
The primary role of any congressional office is to aid constituents in dealings with federal agencies and the staff of the OP's congressman probably has someone well versed in dealing with the IRS. Even if they cannot solve the problem directly, they should certainly be able to offer insight and guidance that may be helpful. To say it is unproductive is absurd.
Alex, I'll take I need a clue for $200.

June Bug, if there was no identity theft, you can explain to me then how SSA had a W-2 submitted to it with the OP's name AND social security number on it.

As for your other useless piece of advice, this is congress you're referring to. Would you like some statistics on federal income tax compliance for members of congress? We could start with the most recent former chairman of House Ways and Means and end with the Secretary of the Treasury. You know, the guy who runs the IRS. :rolleyes:

davew128

Unbelievable. Your advice was very good, TinkerBelleLuvr. Except for one thing. You are claiming that a half hour phone call to her congressman's local office would somehow be a HUGE waste of time resulting in the whole process taking twice as long. Do you honestly believe that having the OP deal directly with the IRS rather than having the paperwork come thru her congressman's office would be helpful to her? You do understand that most congressional offices have people on staff who specialize in certain federal agencies and just might know precisely who to deal with at the IRS? Not saying that her's does or not, but isn't it worth a simple phone call to find out?
You're right. It's not a huge waste of time. It's a half hour's waste of time. The IRS is an executive branch agency. Congress has no authority over it. Any questions?

lostintaxhell

I've had multiple police reports filed for ID theft. It started in 1999. I've been out so much money over the years and have borrowed to the hilt from relatives and friends to hire attorneys in the past. Nothing's ever happened to anyone for it, except for me paying and at one point losing everything I owned over it to pay people back for the money I borrowed.

FlyingRon, I'll do what's in that link. Once I do, what should I expect next? We desperately need our tax refund. How long do you think it should take for everything to get straightened out? Even a rough estimate would be appreciated.

lostintaxhell

Company could have just put the wrong SSN on the 1099 for all you know.
It was my name AND social, and my name, both first and middle, is an unusual name as well as an unusual spelling (thanks to my parents for giving me a "spechul snowflayk" name that I hate with a burning passion), with an odd spelling for my last name too. It was my name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">