• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I owe and owe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bailey005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ME

I owe the state of MA about 4,000 in back taxes and the IRS around 2,000.....all from an IRA I took out in 2004 and unemployment benifits from 2006-2007, so every year the IRS takes my refund, haven't heard from the State of MA for a year or so...... Have had very low paying jobs, as in barely surviving, you know it's bad when you can't afford new underwear.....:( ....anyway I want to know even though I am barely getting by can they still garnish what little wages I am getting......actually right now I am unemployed, but starting a new job on Monday

pattytx

Well, with an IRS tax levy, you DO get to keep something, ostensibly enough to "live on", but that amount is a joke.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ME

I owe the state of MA about 4,000 in back taxes and the IRS around 2,000.....all from an IRA I took out in 2004 and unemployment benifits from 2006-2007, so every year the IRS takes my refund, haven't heard from the State of MA for a year or so...... Have had very low paying jobs, as in barely surviving, you know it's bad when you can't afford new underwear.....:( ....anyway I want to know even though I am barely getting by can they still garnish what little wages I am getting......actually right now I am unemployed, but starting a new job on Monday
It would honestly be best to contact the IRS and set up a payment plan for the remainder that you owe them. I don't know how cooperative they will be at this point, since the debt is so old, but generally they will work with someone who comes forward on their own. If they will agree to a payment plan, and you stick to it, that will avoid them garnishing your pay.

I don't know how MA operates as I don't practise in that state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">