• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I think this is big, and I'm scared!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

persephoe1002

What is the name of your state? New York

I have recently discovered some information that I need help with.

My husband's father died in 1970, leaving a large quantity of stock. His wife continued to received dividends until her death in 1993. My husband has been secretly receiving and cashing dividend checks in her name and apparently re-investing the dividends in more stock, also under her name.

Her will was never probated and no estate tax was paid.

When I stumbled upon some of these records, I took her social security number and ran it through the death index. Her husband's name showed up! It's his SS#, and she doesn't appear in the index!

I've been married since 1992, and we've been filing jointly since. My husband never reported dividend income. I didn't even know he had these things until now. We're going to be divorcing soon, how do I protect myself? How do I defend myself against back taxes and penalties that, given what has come to light, I will probably owe?

Please please please, any info would be appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">