• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Idaho Tax Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msanthrop

What is the name of your state? CA - debt incurred & paid in ID

My husband and I have had liens for any and all future property in the state of Idaho placed against us for "non-payment of 1999 state taxes". Now, I left ID and moved to NV in 1998, when I attended grad school. Hubby and the kids moved to NV in Aug of 1999. He did pay 1999 taxes in Idaho (we recall this clearly because he owed for cashing out his retirement early - it was the first year we owed a significant amount.).

We can't locate a hard copy of those state tax records (It is on his computer, but he hasn't been able to open the file - we've taken it to others, and so far, no one can open it. I'm not sure they'd accept it as proof anyway.) I declared myself a resident of NV prior to that tax period, so did not file ID taxes, and NV has no state tax. The State of Idaho claims to have no tax records of our entire 10+ year residency and has no "proof" that we paid (or that we owe, by the way), and is demanding our NV State tax return from 1999 to prove we paid NV and not ID. Since there is no state tax in NV, that doesn't help. (And since they claim to have no records of ANY year, what is to stop them from attaching liens on other years?)

The tax rep claimed that Idaho has no SOL on tax debts owed, and the state refuses to (or rather says they can't) prove the debt is valid.

As it sits right now, there is a lien in both of our names for over $3000.00 for any future property in Idaho. Can they attach property in CA or elsewhere? How can we get them to back off if they refuse to accept proof of our payment - or provide proof the debt is valid? We had very much wanted to move back to ID, but not with this nonsense.

LdiJ

Your case is a reminder of the importance of safely keeping a hard copy of every year's tax returns.

I am not sure what you are going to be able to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">