• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I Am In A Common Law Marriage, Can We File Joint Taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHANNONC

I LIVE IN TEXAS AND HAVE BEEN WITH MY FIANCE FOR A LITTLE OVER A YEAR. WE HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO AFFORD TO GET MARRIED, BUT WE ARE COMMON LAW AS FAR AS WE KNOW. WE HAVE HAD A ROUGH YEAR WITH INCOME AND FEEL IT WOULD BE BETTER TO FILE JOINT TAXES INSTEAD OF SEPERATELY. DO WE HAVE TO HAVE A MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE OR ANYTHING TO BE ABLE TO FILE JOINTLY?

Last edited:

abezon

You have to be living in a state that has common law marriage. I don't know if TX even has CLM. You could call the local law school or a legal aid attorney. The library probably has someone who knows. All states will recognize a CLM validly entered into in another state that has CLM, but most won't declare that a couple are living common law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">