• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I get my green card?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Canada.

I'm thinking of getting my green card and immigrating to the US, but I'm concerned about my tax issues. I understand that, as a Canadian, I'll be taxed in Canada only if I'm resident there. So, if I reside in the US, I won't be taxed under Canadian law - that's the general principle as I understand it.

If I get my green card, but I still reside in Canada for the time being, will I be taxed under US law? I understand American citizens are taxed even if they don't reside in the US. My plan is to get my green card, then, after I stabilize my firm here, expand by opening another office in the US. So I will be resident for about a year in Canada if and when I get in.

FlyingRon

Can't vouch for Canadian taxes, US LAW ONLY !

You don't start with a green card. You start with the appropriate VISA. Further you can't get or maintain a green card if you are not residing here.

As for your US TAX issues, start here:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/index.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">