• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if I make money online how much do I have to make to have to pay taxes on it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

david20b

If I make money online how much do I have to make to have to pay taxes on it?Is it $400.00 or $400.00+

Also if the money is paid to me monthly does the amount that I have to make fore I have to pay taxes on it change or does it stay the same?

L

loku

You are considered a self-employed person and you must file a return if your income from self-employment is $400 or more. Assuming you are single, you will not be subject to income tax unless your gross income is over $7,200 (and even then, if you have certain deductions, you would owe no income tax).

But you will have to pay self-employment tax (Social Security & Medicare). If you earn over $400 from self-employment, your self-employment earnings are taxed at an effective rate of a little over 14%, see Form 1040, Schedule SE, which you can download at: http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/index.html.

Also, I would suggest you download, from the same site, IRS Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax. That publication will tell you everything you need to know about the income tax and the self-employment tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">