• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I owe fed. taxes can they go after husband?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dolly1948

What is the name of your state?Ohio
This was my original question I posted and got a nice reply BUT I'm still concerned about my husband. If my husband's name never appreared on corp papers (only my name), can the govt demand anything from him?

I had an S Corp. until 1994. I closed the company down completely. I believe I paid all my taxes, however, I just got a threatening call from IRS. I know everything is perfect with my personal taxes. There had been questions about some supposedly unpaid bills, BUT I took care of those. I am married. Do not work because of disability. Currently filing for SS disability. Haven't work since 1999. I have NO personal real estate or cars. Everything in husband's name. If I can't pay this, what can the gov't. do to me? Anything to my husband or our house? How about my SSD money coming in spring?

abezon

If the corp filed its own returns & he was never a part of it, he's clear. Although he may need to file as injured spouse to keep the IRS from taking his refund when you 2 file jointly.

In future, change his withholding so there is no refund.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">