• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If you owe back taxes to the state, what happens if you leave the state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThinLizzy

What is the name of your state? NC

Suppose you owe back taxes to the state. An attorney told me once that if you moved to another state they probably would not be able to collect from you. Can State A not find a way to garnish wages in State B? Doesen't State B have to give "full faith and credit" to any actions taken by State A?

LdiJ

ThinLizzy said:
What is the name of your state? NC

Suppose you owe back taxes to the state. An attorney told me once that if you moved to another state they probably would not be able to collect from you. Can State A not find a way to garnish wages in State B? Doesen't State B have to give "full faith and credit" to any actions taken by State A?
20 years ago it might have been difficult for a state to collect from you if you were located in another state. That is no longer the case. Any state can collect from you easily, no matter where you are located in the US.

In addition, the state can also intercept any federal tax returns.

racer72

The state of California has intercepted my brother in laws federal tax return the past 5 years or so over state taxes. Could happen to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">