• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois non resident problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Corysti

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas sas

I am a truck driver that's from Arkansas. Last year the company I worked for held out Illinois state taxes in error instead of Arkansas. When I attempted to do a non resident Illinois told me that because my home base is in Illinois that I am required to pay Illinois taxes. When I called Illinois and explained thay I a truck driver they told me what to do to fix it and after doing that they sent me another letter saying the money Illinois received was rightfully theirs and I will not be receiving what I paid them last year. Is there anything I can do legally to get the money that is owed to me?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas sas

I am a truck driver that's from Arkansas. Last year the company I worked for held out Illinois state taxes in error instead of Arkansas. When I attempted to do a non resident Illinois told me that because my home base is in Illinois that I am required to pay Illinois taxes. When I called Illinois and explained thay I a truck driver they told me what to do to fix it and after doing that they sent me another letter saying the money Illinois received was rightfully theirs and I will not be receiving what I paid them last year. Is there anything I can do legally to get the money that is owed to me?
Illinois is really difficult about that kind of thing. I had one agent from IL tell me that if a company sends them withholding, then that means the taxpayer had to pay IL tax, period, and that if the taxpayer wanted their money back, they needed to talk to their employer.

If you can get a letter from your employer admitting that they made the error and specifically stating that you neither live nor work in IL, that might fix the problem...no guarantee, but its your best chance.

Corysti

Illinois is really difficult about that kind of thing. I had one agent from IL tell me that if a company sends them withholding, then that means the taxpayer had to pay IL tax, period, and that if the taxpayer wanted their money back, they needed to talk to their employer.

If you can get a letter from your employer admitting that they made the error and specifically stating that you neither live nor work in IL, that might fix the problem...no guarantee, but its your best chance.

That's the sad part. That's what they told me to do and I sent them a letterhead from my hr about the error and it still didn't work.

LdiJ

That's the sad part. That's what they told me to do and I sent them a letterhead from my hr about the error and it still didn't work.
Was the letter very specific, or was it somewhat vague? Did you keep a copy? If it was specific enough I would send it again with copies of everything you have received to date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">