• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm 30 years old and my grandmother claimed me as a dependant...Help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? GA

Ok, for a few years I've been staying in her house and she's been feeding me. I've had a chronic illness. So basically she claimed me as a dependant. Can she even do that? I had no idea she was going to but she just did it anyway. Now, during my quest for medical financial assistance, the hospital is demanding copies of her taxes and such to determine if I'm eligable (I am eligable due to my doctors note of disability, but now they're wanting to check HER income I guess since she claimed me as dependant) IF they go on her income, I pretty much doubt that I'll get much assistance if any at all. I didn't ask her to claim me...and I even wonder if it was legal!! There's no way in the world she would pay any hospital bills for me, as tight as she is (nor should she have to). Can anyone analyze this?

Yeah she did it's just me and her living together. All i had from last year was a little chump change I earned from a part time job...

Last edited:

abezon

If that's all the income you had, then she was legally entitled to claim you as a dependent. Since she's claiming you as a dependent, can she add you to her health insurance?

So you're saying she can claim me even though I'm 30 years old?! Do you think that means the hospital would go by her income even if she says she won't pay? There's no way I can get on anyone's insurance due to my pre existing conditon..

Dandy Don

How many years has she been claiming you as a dependent?

Try to find a good paying job so that you can establish your own household and separate living space apart from hers so that (that she will no longer be able to claim you as a dependent). When you establish your independence the insurance company won't be able to use her income to establish your eligibility and you can file with another insurance company, based on your own income only, and will hopefully get approved.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">