• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm about to lose my house because of taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmccrea7

What is the name of your state? I live in Texas and live in a house that was my grandmothers before she passed a few years ago. My family and I moved in last October and just found out that the taxes have not been paid in years. One week ago I had the house deed transfered into my name. The house is to be auctioned off on the 9th of June unless I have a big payment before the 7th. My question is since I just had the deed put into my name a week ago do I have rights to extra time to come up with the money or does it still stand? can I hire and attorney to file anything to give me a couple of extra weeks or anything along those lines? I am really in need of help!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jmccrea7 said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Texas and live in a house that was my grandmothers before she passed a few years ago. My family and I moved in last October and just found out that the taxes have not been paid in years. One week ago I had the house deed transfered into my name. The house is to be auctioned off on the 9th of June unless I have a big payment before the 7th. My question is since I just had the deed put into my name a week ago do I have rights to extra time to come up with the money or does it still stand? can I hire and attorney to file anything to give me a couple of extra weeks or anything along those lines? I am really in need of help!

My response:

The tax lien goes against the land, not the new owner. The property could be transferred 100 times, and it wouldn't make a difference.

If you have the money for an attorney, why aren't you paying the taxes?

Have you thought about getting a homeowner's loan? Have you spoken to your banker about this matter?

IAAL

jmccrea7

I know of an attorney that I can make some payments with. We have been making payments toward the balance untill we missed one month due to a medical bill when my son broke his arm. after we missed that month we were in defalt because we missed the payment. I have tried a home loan but because of the back taxes I have yet to get a loan.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">