• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

income resulting from dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpwithtaxes

What is the name of your state? NC.
My husband changed jobs recently and he felt the company that he left owed him money for commissions. The company disagreed (as it turns out, we have learned this company does this routinely to their overseas salesmen). After threatening to hire an attorney, they eventually settled on an amount, about 1/3 less than we believed they owed. The company is headquartered in Europe and wired my husband the amount directly from Europe. There is not a 1099 or W2, so we are not sure where to claim this on our taxes. We use Turbotax. Is this considered "tip income"? Thanks.

LdiJ

helpwithtaxes said:
What is the name of your state? NC.
My husband changed jobs recently and he felt the company that he left owed him money for commissions. The company disagreed (as it turns out, we have learned this company does this routinely to their overseas salesmen). After threatening to hire an attorney, they eventually settled on an amount, about 1/3 less than we believed they owed. The company is headquartered in Europe and wired my husband the amount directly from Europe. There is not a 1099 or W2, so we are not sure where to claim this on our taxes. We use Turbotax. Is this considered "tip income"? Thanks.
Its self-employment income and belongs on his schedule C.

Snipes5

Commissions are usually reported on a form 1099. That makes him self employed for purposes of the commisions. If they are reported on a W-2, then he can of course treat them like ordinary wages.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">