• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income Tax on income from French pension?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Squirrel48

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am a U.S. citizen residing in California. I lived in France in the 1970's and paid into the government pension system, as well as the supplementary system. In 2009 I started receiving income from both. What is the agreement between France and the U.S., and do I need to pay income tax on this income?

Thank you.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am a U.S. citizen residing in California. I lived in France in the 1970's and paid into the government pension system, as well as the supplementary system. In 2009 I started receiving income from both. What is the agreement between France and the U.S., and do I need to pay income tax on this income?

Thank you.
A US citizen must include in their tax return all income, from all sources, including foreign sources. So, one way or another, this income has to be reported on your tax return.

The nature of its taxability is going to be determined by a lot of different factors, and requires research.

If any of the tax professionals here happens to know that answer off the top of their heads, I am sure that they will respond. But I suspect that none of us do, and none of us have time during the tax season to do that kind of research for free.

I recommend that you hire a tax professional to handle your return, and let them do the research as part of their services.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">