• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income tax medical deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gail3681

My husband had open heart surgery in 1999. The doctor told him to "exercise" and that "swimming" was one of the best ways to exercise (he is 75 years old). We couldn't afford a swimming pool that year, but did put one in last year (2001). Can I deduct the cost of the pool, and what rules must be met?

L

loku

Under Treas. Reg. Sec. 1.213-1, capital expenditures, such as the cost of swimming pools, are generally not deductible for Federal income tax purposes. However, a capital expenditure made by the taxpayer may qualify as a medical expense, if it has as its primary purpose the medical care of the taxpayer, his spouse, or his dependent. A capital expenditure for permanent improvement or betterment of property which would not ordinarily be for the purpose of medical care may, nevertheless, qualify as a medical expense to the extent that the expenditure exceeds the increase in the value of the related property, if the particular expenditure is related directly to medical care. Expenditures made for the operation or maintenance of a capital asset are likewise deductible medical expenses if they have as their primary purpose the medical care (as defined in subdivisions (i) and (ii) of this subparagraph) of the taxpayer, his spouse, or his dependent. Normally, if a capital expenditure qualifies as a medical expense, expenditures for the operation or maintenance of the capital asset would also qualify provided that the medical reason for the capital expenditure still exists. The entire amount of such operation and maintenance expenditures qualifies, even if none or only a portion of the original cost of the capital asset itself qualified.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">