• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income tax on property sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leathernecknw

I bought 3 houses this year, all as primary residences. The reason I could do this was because each time I upgraded and qualified for owner-occupied financing (zero down). The 3rd house I am living in. The 2nd house is on a 1-year lease. The 1st house I bought was a fixer and I had the intent on renting it after I made improvements. I even advertised it for rent but no serious takers. I then realized the values had gone up so much I decided to sell it instead. I finished fixing it and now it is sold and due to close on Sept 30th for a gross profit of over $56k in only 8 months of ownership. I'm finding out that I may not qualify for a 1031 exchange because I haven't owned it for 12 months even though there's no "minimum holding period" specified by the IRS. A red flag could go up and my intent to rent may be investigated. This could also cause an investigation into upgrading with owner-occupied financing on 3 houses in 6 months. Since I can show that I tried renting it would this prove enough intent? If not, is there another way I can avoid paying income tax on all that money somehow?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">