• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income tax refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KJWhitt

What is the name of your state? Texas

A lady I know owes me some money and is promising to pay me when she receives her tax refund. I know for a fact the restaurant where she worked as a dishwasher for a few months this year paid her in cash and didn't take out witholding/FICA taxes. I guarantee she didn't receive $6000 in income all year. She is single and has two children, ages fifteen and eighteen. She claims she will receive a tax refund just from her earned income credit.

I thought you actually had to work and have taxes taken out of your check before you might possibly receive a refund. I think she trying to hand me a load of crap. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help.

KJWhitt

KJWhitt

Can you tell me.....

Can you tell me, based on the information I've given you, if this woman will be able to receive a tax refund? I'd like to be able to use your answer to let her know that I'm aware she's blowing smoke up my butt.
I'm already aware that I'll probably not get my money but I'd like to tell her I'm not buying her excuses (it's crap!). Back me up, throw me some tax law babble I can use!

Once again, I thank you for your help.

KJWhitt

abezon

Actually, she will get a refund of earned income credit. The EIC will forst pay her self-employment taxes, then the excess is hers. Not that she'll ever pay you anything. Do you really think she'll be able to give you some of that money next year, or will she have some other, more urgent bill to pay first?

KJWhitt

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that she might be getting a refund based on her EIC but I sure wouldn't have thought it worked that way. Go figure.

I'm fairly confident I'll never receive a nickel from this woman. She's a loser and she wouldn't know integrity if it bit her on the nose. She actually seems proud of the fact that her mother pays all of her bills as well as her house payment every month. Thanks for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">