• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income on tax return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Hello,
I was out of work and needed to retain an attorney for a court matter. An associate of mine paid the attorney directly in exchange for labor I did on his home. Do I have to claim the amount paid to the attorney as income on my tax return? Thank You.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Hello,
I was out of work and needed to retain an attorney for a court matter. An associate of mine paid the attorney directly in exchange for labor I did on his home. Do I have to claim the amount paid to the attorney as income on my tax return? Thank You.
Yes, its self employment income. You would file it on Schedule C.

Yes, its self employment income. You would file it on Schedule C.
OK thank you. It doesnt look like I will be able to work off the whole amount, I will actually have to pay him back about half. The amount was $50,000, so we figured I worked off 25 and will pay him back 25. Do I still put the entire 50 on the return? Thank you for your help.

tranquility

I'd say no. You only gained $25K in wealth from your work. However, if things transpired between a couple of years, the actual facts would have to be more clear. In that case it is possible the full $50K is put on the return one year with $25K deduction in the other year.

Even then, although not precisely correct in some instances, I'd put the $25K as income and treat the other $25K as a loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">