• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

income taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

talo

What is the name of your state?mn
my brother claimed my children as dependents on his taxes when i was living with him because he was taking care of them, i didn't have any income, i was a college student. Currently his check from work is being garnished to pay back the money because the internal revenue stated that i didn't reside there, that is a lie. Now his check is being garnished double the amount they gave him on the taxes. What should we do? This is the taxes from 2001

talo

talo said:
What is the name of your state?minnesota.My brother claimed my children as dependents on his 2001 taxes and he is being garnished because IRS stated that i didn't live there, what should we do?

abezon

He should go see a tax pro for help reopening the case/filing an amendment to claim the kids. The tax pro can help him determine what sort of evidence he needs to provide to prevail on the dependency claim.

LdiJ

talo said:
What is the name of your state?mn
my brother claimed my children as dependents on his taxes when i was living with him because he was taking care of them, i didn't have any income, i was a college student. Currently his check from work is being garnished to pay back the money because the internal revenue stated that i didn't reside there, that is a lie. Now his check is being garnished double the amount they gave him on the taxes. What should we do? This is the taxes from 2001
There would be no reason for the IRS to question his right to claim the children, unless someone else also claimed them. Whether or not you lived there normally wouldn't be relevant...except perhaps for the purposes of EIC, and then it would only be relevant whether or not the children lived there. Therefore, there may be some information you are missing or are leaving out.

Snipes5

If he was one of those unfortunate people in the IRS special verification program for EIC and HOH, and did not reply, or replied with insufficient documentation, they would have disallowed the EIC and or the HOH filing status.

You definitely need to ask more questions to find out exactly why they disallowed the EIC, etc.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">