• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance/estate taxes between WI and MN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

demerritt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
I live in Minnesota and my mother lives in Wisconsin. What are the tax implications/laws when she passes and I get an inheritance?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
I live in Minnesota and my mother lives in Wisconsin. What are the tax implications/laws when she passes and I get an inheritance?
I don't practice in either state, but most likely there will be some tax implications in both states. Whether or not you pay any tax related to a segment of an inheritance depends on what it is (on the federal level as well)...and where it is.(on the state level).

efflandt

I don't know about the estate tax end of it.

But if you inherit WI real estate that is then deeded to you, and you later sell that property, you would need to file WI non-resident taxes for the sale (only). But the basis for inherited property is stepped up to fair value at time of death, so any capital gain would be based on gain since death. And any WI tax paid would likely be a credit towards whatever tax MN would normally charge for that gain.

I live in IL and have sold property in WI. I still had to file WI non-resident tax to account for basis of the sale even though there was no gain due to easement issues. So WI taxes just accounted for $10,000 basis (purchase price) and $10,000 sale with no tax due.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">