• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rratcliff

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
My mother died in December of 2006, leaving my brother and I each one-half of her assets. This was in the form of a $20,000 (plus interest) CD, an annuity of $1,300 per month for ten years and $110,000 in a lump sum to each son. This was done in 2007. She was a resident of Oregon, and I reside in North Carolina. This was all done through PODs; nothing passed through the will, although there was a valid will stating the same thing: 50/50 to each son, no other heirs. If one son had died, everything went to the surviving son. There was no property or possessions of any kind. There was also about $5,000 in a joint bank account (my name and her name) which I have moved from Oregon to NC and have been using to pay her bills.
Will I need to pay an inheritance tax on these funds?
Thank youWhat is the name of your state?

abezon

No inheritance tax. No need to file an estate income tax return unless the estate received more than $600 of income before you trnasferred the assets to your names.

However, you & bro will have to pay income tax on the income received after Mom's death -- the interest and the annuity. Also check with the annuity company to see if mom bought the annuity with after tax dollars or if it was a retirement plan rolled into an annuity. If the annuity was purchased, you inherited your mother's basis & recover it as payments are received. See a tax pro for help next spring.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">