• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inherited rental condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mickey143

What is the name of your state?Virginia
I inherited a condo rental. i received rent from it for two years deciding on what to do with the property. If i sell it now will i have capitol gains to pay or would i have to use a starker exchange and buy another rental.
thank you
mickey

anteater

mickey143 said:
What is the name of your state?Virginia
I inherited a condo rental. i received rent from it for two years deciding on what to do with the property. If i sell it now will i have capitol gains to pay or would i have to use a starker exchange and buy another rental.
thank you
mickey
Nobody can tell you if you would owe capital gains, since you said nothing about the cost basis or the likely net proceeds from a sale.

And whether you want to sell and possibly have a capital gains tax liability or do a 1031 is a matter of personal preference.

mickey143

anteater said:
Nobody can tell you if you would owe capital gains, since you said nothing about the cost basis or the likely net proceeds from a sale.

And whether you want to sell and possibly have a capital gains tax liability or do a 1031 is a matter of personal preference.
on the proerty i inherited two years ago was valued at
210 thousand. i can now sell for 300. my intent is not to pay capitol gains on 90 thousand at 28%. i want to use the gains to build on land i alreay own. would that work?

abezon

First, the rental is a long term asset. The capital gains would be taxed at 15%. Any depreciation claimed since you inherited the hosue will be recaptured at a maximum rate of 25%. You'll have to decide if swapping this rental house for another rental house is a good decision financially. A tax-free exchange will cost you at least $1,000 in fees to a 1031 exchange facilitator.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">