• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jerry8343

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. I recieved 5,000 for land that was passed on to my father from his grandfather and then to me after my fathers death. This was something that my father didn't know anything about but I was contacted by a coal minning company that wanted to mine the land and I was wondering if I file this as a capitol gain for income tax.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. I recieved 5,000 for land that was passed on to my father from his grandfather and then to me after my fathers death. This was something that my father didn't know anything about but I was contacted by a coal minning company that wanted to mine the land and I was wondering if I file this as a capitol gain for income tax.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The land itself was an inheritance (even though your father didn't know about it) so you have a stepped up basis on the land as of the date of your father's death. If the coal mining company bought the land from you then your capital gain is the difference between what the land was worth when your father passed away, and the 5k you received.

If you didn't sell the land, or didn't own the land but only owned the mineral rights and sold or leased those, then I would recommend that you see a local tax professional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">