• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritence tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vinnbadd58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
Hi, I am a 50 year old disabled man living in Pennsylvania, I live in our family home. My mother died four years ago and the house (all paid off) was willed to me, her only living son.
My problem is the inheritence tax, I only live on SSI. Can I get a discount or some how put the house in my name? I don't know what to do. Can you help?

anteater

You need to probate the will in order to obtain legal ownership of the home. You can visit the Probate Division of the Orphans' Court in your county to ask the clerk if they can assist in getting you started. They may be able to provide you information on the probate process, but they will not give you legal advice. You will probably need the assistance of an attorney at some point.

I'm sorry, but I do not know of any discount from the PA Inheritance Tax (other than the standard 5% for payment within 3 months of the date of death). You can look up the contact info for the appropriate PA Department of Revenue district office at the link below and give them a call to ask.

Revenue: Pennsylvania Department of Revenue

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">