• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured Spouse & Dependants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scorpius

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

My spouse and I are married and we are planning to file joint.

My spouse has an outstanding legal obligation and I do not.

We have two kids under 18 in home with us the whole year as dependants on our 1040 form and are receiving the EIC as well.

I made over 90% of the income last year.

Basically I understand that I can file an injured spouse (Form 8379, http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8379.pdf to get my share that is entitled to me.

We have 4 exemptions on our 1040, but the Injured spouse form is asking on

Part III, Line 16 (Number of Exemptions):
a) Amount Shown on Joint Return: 4
b) Allocated to Injured Spouse: ??? What should I put here
c) Allocated to other Spouse: ??? What should I put here

Basically, I would like to get as much back possible out of my share, and the EIC..... and since I made the majority of income, shouldnt I be able to put myself, and the two kids, 3 exemptions, on my line (B) and 1 on my spouses line (C) ??

AND

Part III, Line 17 (Credits):
a) Shows 2000
b) What should this be?
c) What should this be?

Should I put my line B to the full amount shown on line A??

Just unsure of what to enter on these two lines...

Thanks for your time and any help!

Last edited:

CourtClerk

This isn't a question you should entrust to a bunch of people on an internet forum who are not looking at your tax forms and assessing your tax situation. Go see a tax professional.

If you qualify for EIC, there are a number of places that offer free tax preparation - check with your local library and AARP.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

My spouse and I are married and we are planning to file joint.

My spouse has an outstanding legal obligation and I do not.

We have two kids under 18 in home with us the whole year as dependants on our 1040 form and are receiving the EIC as well.

I made over 90% of the income last year.

Basically I understand that I can file an injured spouse (Form 8379, http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8379.pdf to get my share that is entitled to me.

We have 4 exemptions on our 1040, but the Injured spouse form is asking on

Part III, Line 16 (Number of Exemptions):
a) Amount Shown on Joint Return: 4
b) Allocated to Injured Spouse: ??? What should I put here
c) Allocated to other Spouse: ??? What should I put here

Basically, I would like to get as much back possible out of my share, and the EIC..... and since I made the majority of income, shouldnt I be able to put myself, and the two kids, 3 exemptions, on my line (B) and 1 on my spouses line (C) ??

AND

Part III, Line 17 (Credits):
a) Shows 2000
b) What should this be?
c) What should this be?

Should I put my line B to the full amount shown on line A??

Just unsure of what to enter on these two lines...

Thanks for your time and any help!
No matter what you put on the injured spouse form the IRS will make the final determination as to what gets assigned to each spouse.

Keeping that in mind, you should try to get the exemptions for both children included on your side (unless the children are NOT yours) and the 2000.00 credits (which are the child tax credits for the children).

LdiJ

This isn't a question you should entrust to a bunch of people on an internet forum who are not looking at your tax forms and assessing your tax situation. Go see a tax professional.
CC, just FYI, ALL of the regular posters on this forum are tax professionals. Therefore we usually can answer most of the questions and when we cannot, then someone really DOES need to see a tax professional.

This one wasn't particularly complicated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">